Successful Noun-modifier cataloguing using NOMCAT tool
at SAUDI ARAMCO SAUDI ARABIA
Experience with Saudi Aramco in using their Noun-modifier cataloguing tool
In the, recent past we have completed Development of Noun Modifier Materials Catalogue for 35,000 line items at ARAMCO, KSA.
In the following sections we have given a synopsis of the project for reference.
Saudi Aramco are going through number of new capital projects and expansions. All the spare parts related to for the new equipment are to be populated in their catalogue through Saudi Aramco's ESP software.
SCOPE OF WORK OF HOFINCONS
Population of the Cataloguing Tool (CT) database with detailed equipment and spare parts data from vendor spare parts data package provided by Saudi Aramco. Total Number of items – 35000. This was to be accomplished by:
Hofincons mandate was to complete the data fields in CT and forward electronic data with all supporting documentation to Saudi Aramco.
- Performing a thorough technical review of given vendor spare parts data package (i.e. purchasing specifications, mechanical assembly drawings, bill of materials etc.),
- Validating and recording specific data elements by using the given item description formats (templates) contained in the software,
- Selecting and recording materials codes and ordering parameters which are required by the software and,
- Obtaining any data that is required by the software and found to be missing from the package.
SAUDI ARAMCO RESPONSIBILITY
Saudi Aramco supplied the data review criteria, as well as the equipment and spare parts data in the form of hard copy packages, magnetic media or a combination of both, to enable Hofincons to identify the equipment and spare part items.
The ESP Cataloguing Tool supplied by Saudi Aramco was a Windows NT 4.0 / SQL ANYWHERE based multi user software package connected through a Local Area Network, to an Oracle database residing on a server. It contained the equipment, spare parts and general item description formats (templates), sample values and supporting data fields to catalogue and thoroughly identify the items while complying with Saudi Aramco Materials Instructions.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK CARRIED OUT
- Each equipment, spare part or general supply item was classified under a specific Noun-Modifier pair (e.g., Valve - Gate).
- Specific physical characteristics for each item were described using the unique electronic template for each specific noun-modifier pair. Properties such as material, dimensions, ratings, usage, applicable standards, etc., as specified in the software were recorded on this template.
- For each item described using the above classifications and characteristics further information as specified in the software such as but not limited to part number, manufacturer name, contact address, storage requirements, unit of issue, equipment tag number, equipment population, and material codes / designations and ordering parameters, were also added on.
- The values entered followed the Saudi Aramco Value Presentation Guidelines.
- Hofincons reviewed all hard copy and electronic data received from Saudi Aramco and prepared a discrepancy report on the received data. Hofincons also contacted vendors and / or manufacturers to obtain additional manufacturer’s data to complete the ESP data entry requirements.
- For each item, the Hofincons also compared the part numbers contained in the current Saudi Aramco Materials catalogue in order to avoid duplication of items.
- Document control and tracking was being maintained in an MS-Access based application.
Hofincons mobilized a team of 22 specialists, who were in four major groups namely:
- Documentation control,
- Technical Data Management,
- Q.A & Q.C.,
- Data administration
LOCATION OF WORK
The whole assignment was carried out offshore at Madras, with a Saudi Aramco on site representative for any clarification and approval.
OVERVIEW OF THE SAUDI ARAMCO CATALOGUING PROJECT