Successful "Development of Maintenance Strategy ”
AT SNC Lavalin Inc. Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SNC-Lavalin* is one of the leading groups of Engineering and Construction companies in the world, and a global leader in the ownership and management of infrastructure. SNC-Lavalin companies provide engineering, procurement, construction, project management and project financing services to a variety of industry sectors, including agrifood, biopharmaceuticals, chemicals and petroleum, environment, heavy construction, mass transit, mining and metallurgy, power and water management.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin has been active internationally for nearly 40 years, establishing a multicultural network that spans every continent. It employs over 15,000 people in offices across Canada and in 30 other countries, and is currently working in some 100 countries.
Hofincons was invited for providing consulting services for development of Maintenance Strategy based on Software tool Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) / Risk Based Inspection (RBI) for Calculating Mean Time between Failure using OREDA Standards for the rotating equipment like Pumps, Compressors, Blowers, Turbo Expanders, Motors and Gas Turbines etc.
For static equipments like Pipes, Vessels, Reactors, Columns and Exchanges etc. the Maintenance Strategy based on Software tool Risk Based Inspection (RBI) is used to fix Maximum Preventive Maintenance Frequency for carrying out Corrosion & Inspection Techniques.
SCOPE OF WORK OF HOFINCONS
Hofincons developed a fully auditable Maintenance Strategy for all assets based on a systematic approach utilizing Reliability Centered Maintenance Analysis and Risk Based Inspection RBI where appropriate and cost effective. The analysis shall include:
- Functional Analysis
- Criticality Assessment using NORWEGIAN STANDARDS
- RCM analysis for production and safety / environment criticality equipment
- Condition Monitoring viability assessment MILL STANDARD
- Development of maintenance tasks and intervals (Maintenance Craft Procedures) for input to the Maintenance Reference Plan and Maintenance Management System.
AREA COVERED UNDER SCOPE OF WORK
- Saih Nihayda Gas Plant (SNGP)
- Associated Facilities: at Saih Rawl CPP
- Associated Facililties: Power Supply
- Prepare list of functions from PEFS, Process flow sheet
- Carry out Functional Criticality Analysis using IDEF software package
- With the aid of PEFS, Process flow sheet, manuals, datasheet list the equipment corresponding to each Function
- Carry out Equipment Criticality Analysis as per PDO Assessment Procedure number PR-1248
- Analyze each equipment with respect to its effect on,
- Service level
- Frequency of failure from experience
- Based on the final score obtained, segregate the equipment as,
- Extreme critical
- High critical
- Medium critical
- Less critical
- List Extreme critical, High critical and Medium critical equipment for carrying out RCM analysis
- Carry out RCM analysis using SCHEMA software package
- Prepare the list of equipment tag corresponding to function, from PEFS. Flow sheet, data sheet, equipment manuals
- For each functional failure of the equipment-type, define the dominant failure modes
- Define the effects and characteristics of each failure
- Arrive at an appropriate Maintenance strategy
- Corresponding to the strategy, select the best possible proactive task to address each failure mechanism
- Arrive at frequency of the Proactive and Preventive maintenance tasks
- Define the crew to be used for executing the maintenance tasks
- Prepare RCM report encompassing equipment function, failure mechanism, maintenance strategy, proposed task, frequency and the craft
COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS
Reliability centered maintenance analysis for an asset in that operating context shall definitely yield reasonable and tangible cost benefit depending on the proposed maintenance strategy. Cost benefit shall vary from asset to asset depending on number of parameters such as the duty requirement, maintenance routine, maintainability condition and so on. These benefits can be achieved by effective implementation of proposed maintenance routines and control.
MAINTENANCE CRAFT PROCEDURES
- Preparation of Maintenance Craft Procedures outlining Maintenance tasks.
- Spare parts list for executing maintenance tasks, shall be taken from E-SPIR, prepared by SNC Lavalin Inc.
- Prepared condition monitoring viability assessment report.
- Based on RCM analysis, derive condition-monitoring assessment for the equipment.
- Define failure modes that can be detected by condition monitoring techniques.
- Specify condition-monitoring strategy.
- Equipment-wise, prepare condition monitoring procedure and frequency.
LESS CRITICAL EQUIPMENT
- For Less critical equipment, review vendor’s recommendations.
- Specify minimum maintenance requirements for Less critical equipment based on vendor’s recommendations and experience
- Final report shall comprise of:
- RCM analysis report
- Maintenance Craft Procedures
- Maintenance tasks frequency
- Condition monitoring assessment procedure
- Maintenance requirements of Less critical equipment
- Prepare the Final report enabling easy porting into SAP system.
- This project helps to design, procurement of equipment and routing of flow with easy maintenance and cost benefit approach.
- This will help the planning team for fixing maintenance strategy after commissioning of the plant.